Saturday, February 18, 2012

Star-Strangled Banter

(Originally posted to Myspace: June 23rd, 2007)

Hard-fought; caged thought; page taught, or store-bought. Live and direct or processed with effects, my words speak through mindsets refined through the subtexts of street texts. Street knowledge polished through struggle and strife, word life... Cause the word is living, breathing through the page, spoken by the sage, rattling the cage the audience is engaged in. Outspoken, outrageous. The rage is unleashed... speak now, or forever hold your peace. And if not, hold mine and take a toke of this rhyme, as you soak in these lines; breathe in deep, cause you know we smoke minds. Let the sun shine upon your set, and reflect the divine in a time where the sacred's rejected and considered a crime. Schemes designed by kings disguised as red and blue mimes; clowns, puppets, and actors, masterminds and back-stabbers. Lies fly on the flagpole, stars and stripes swiped to sate the blood lust in their eyes. Big brother undercover through the telephone wires. Television supervision co-opts real thought by submission to unconscious desires. But the fires of freedom still burn, hands stern upon the rudder, smother lies with the gathered cries of our strangled brothers... and sisters. Women, don't think I missed ya. Walls of laws could never stand under the sacred feminines' insistence. That's why they call it "falling" in love. So do yourself a favor, and savor the buzz. Let it expand till it overflows lungs, kisses on lips and embraces through hugs. Lays upon beds, the sheets stained with come. Come to your senses because we need to rise above the rising tides of blood, and the senseless dimensions of the deaf, blind and dumb.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot I wrote this. Not to blow my own horn, but I think this is one of my favorite pieces... it gives me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of my work, I Googled "star strangled banter" & found this, nice Poetics, do you record?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dyllan. Sorry, somehow didn't see your comment until 8 months later, lol. To answer your question, no, I haven't recorded anything yet, but I would like to try to lay something down at some point. How about yourself? I'm a lover of music, a DJ and a huge hip-hop head though... Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete