Saturday, February 18, 2012

Waking Dreams


(Originally posted to Myspace: July 21st, 2008)

We all live in dreams. People live within their own life-dream. They create these dreams, and nourish these dreams, and manifest these dreams. But dreams are not reality. If you live within a dream, you can never be truly conscious. Even if your dream is one of happiness, and beautiful sunsets, you are still not awake. I began to awaken myself years ago, when I looked around at the world, and realized how many people were sleeping. It was very frustrating at first, I did not understand what was going on. I did not understand how people could be so unconscious, and in many ways I still don't. But back then, because I didn't have as much understanding as I do now, this realization made me angry. I was frustrated, and mad at the world and the people around me. It was not only because so many people seemed to be living in dreams, but also because I seemed to be alone, the only person who was awake. Since then, I have found other people who are in various states of wakefulness. People who walk the path, or strive to walk the path of awareness. I am grateful for these people I have met.

To better explain the world, think of it like this: each of us, in our daily lives, walks around with a pair of virtual reality goggles covering our eyes. This is our dream, we create our dreams and are all tuned into various "channels." Some choose to cast themselves into roles such as those you see on MTV or reality shows, to live up to popular culture; to be the guy with the most money, to be the sexiest girl, or the coolest person at the club. Others see themselves as actors in a tragic play, or as victims. Still others might see themselves as heroes in an army movie, or an action superhero, or wealthy businessmen, or drug-dealing rappers. And of course there are those who model themselves as "hippies,"  revolutionaries, spiritual people, or pyschics etc. There are these, and a million other dreams. A million other roles, that we either place ourselves in, or grow into due to the circumstances of our lives.

I can look into someone's eyes and see their dream. I can see the wheels turning in your head. I can see the words forming a reply as they come out of your mouth. I can see all this because it is all illusion. It is all fake.

The only reality is right here, right now. This moment. This moment as I write these words. As I press the button to send this out electronically over the internet. This moment that you are doing whatever you are doing. Perhaps talking, perhaps thinking, or dreaming and always of course, breathing. This moment as you eventually read these words. And eventually the day they may start to sink in, or the day you come to your own truth. These moments are all connected by what we call the present. We live in the eternal present. Even after death, nothing stops. There is no discontinuation. The eternal present continues to exist. It is beyond time, beyond thought, beyond words. Stop what you are doing right now, and try to experience it.

In Mayan astrology, my sign is ETZNAB. The knife, the cutting edge, the obsidian blade, the polished mirror, the god of sacrificing. To sacrifice means to make sacred. When something is sacrificed, it gives up its normal existence, and becomes sacred. I have sacrificed much in my life, and I have had to come to terms with the sacrifices I have had to make. But I realize in the end, that to think we own anything is futile. To think that we are entitled to anything in this life is foolish. When we die, we leave with only ourselves. That is why we have to let go of these things. The only thing you are entitled to is what is inside you; what you can find in your heart to give to yourself. If you can live in that way, if you can do that, you will be sacred. This is the preparation for death, which, once we reach, we will hopefully be made sacred. Your life is the preparation for your death.

As ETZNAB, the mirror, I find that I can reflect other people. It is a natural talent, and it comes easily. Like a still lake on which you can see your reflection, people pour themselves out to me easily. They connect with me, they tell me things they might not tell anyone else. This is my sacrifice: sacrificing the ego, so that I may merge and connect with another person, so that I may help them. So they may find themselves.

In truth though, we are all mirrors. We all have this ability, and we all reflect each other whether we know it or not. The problem is that most people reflect unconsciously. A mirror is a good analogy, but I like the analogy of an energy or vibration better. Beyond the physical body, we are all energy. We are mostly energy. Without energy, we would be a corpse. Thus it is safe to say, we are beings of energy. As energy vibrations, we effect each other. Since most of us live in dream, in unconsciousness, we vibrate unconsciously. We send to others messages about how we feel about ourselves, and others respond to this energy. If you are happy, and you smile at somebody, they will smile back. If you are angry or yell at someone, they will either be afraid, or they will want to fight back. It is simple energetic exchange. The goal is to be able to control your energy. To utilize your energy in the way you choose. To not be a slave to the energetic messages of others, and to send out positive messages to those you come into contact with. Think of how much you could change the world if you walked around all day, being friendly to people, starting a conversation with them, complementing them, or even just smiling at them, or hugging them. This energy which you have set up, will literally change your environment, and the environment of everyone you come in contact with. Now imagine the opposite, if you send out negative emotions all day... imagine how that would affect your world and those around you.

I still see unconscious people everywhere, but you know what? Consciousness is contagious. The more you are conscious and aware, the more you can extend that awareness to others, to whoever you come in contact with. You are like a ray of light shining on the darkness, if for only a moment. So do not feel bad that others are unconscious, instead, try to make yourself more and more conscious. Reality starts and ends with us. One of the biggest things I have had to deal with is loneliness. Every day I try to love myself more and more, and while I realize that I do not need a lover to be happy, I do wish to share the happiness I sometimes overflow with, to show certain things to someone special. All of us wish for this, but at the same time, while we wish for this, we must not lose sight of the fact that we have lovers all around us. If you are in love with yourself, and with the world, you can be in love with everyone you come into contact with, and you should be. And of course it does not have to be physical. A friend can be a lover, as long as you are real, as long as you are genuine. Love is everywhere around you, so let go of your inhibitions, your preconceptions, and your limitations and experience it. 

Start right now. Wake up from your dreams. Live this moment. Love yourself, and the people around you. Be genuine. Life is easy... that is all there is to it. Death is even easier; so while you're waiting, don't struggle. Just live.

No comments:

Post a Comment